Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The WMP shuffle

Ipod shuffle guessing game from brimful. I set my windows media player (for want of an ipod) on "shuffle" and wrote down the first line of the first twenty songs that played (barring repeated artists and first lines containing song titles). Your job: identify the song or the artist and enter it as a comment. As the guesses come in I'll cross the songs off. No googling ! Here's the list :
  1. Pebble by pebble, sand grain by sand grain, shore turns to sea, shore turns to ocean
  2. Gonna close my eyes girl and watch you go running through this life darling like a field of snow David Gray "The one I love". Exactly cookiemonsta.
  3. Huh! Yeah, we're comin' back then with another bombtrack. Think ya know what it's all about. RATM "Know Your Enemy". Right band maisnon..
  4. In the next world war, in a jackknifed juggernaut, I am born again Radiohead "Airbag". ads got it.
  5. I forbid you maidens all that wear gold in your hair to travel to Carterhall
  6. The night was black, the roads were icy, snow was fallin', drifts were high
  7. The waiting drove me mad. You're finally here and I'm a mess
  8. Pearl Jam's "Corduroy". That's right brimful. I'm not ashamed to be a PJ fan.
  9. Here comes that awful feeling again. Welcome the ugly animal. I hold my breath to watch you swing R.E.M "Circus Envy". Exactly maisnon !
  10. I need an easy friend. I do, with an ear to lend. Nirvana's "About a Girl". brimful again
  11. You're in an all-girl band. Your futon's second hand. Your parents understand, but you don't care Barenaked Ladies "Alternative Girlfriend". Great job Maitri !
  12. I don't want to hear you whisper I don't want to orbit your world ...Cake "World Of Two". Maitri again.
  13. Everyone has choice when to and not to raise their voices. It's you that decides which way will you turn
  14. Oh I do believe in all the things you say. What comes is better than what came before
  15. It's happening all the time when I open my eyes I'm still taken by surprise
  16. So this is christmas and what have you done. Another year over a new one just begun John Lennon "Happy X-Mas (War Is Over)" Good job andrea.
  17. West indians, black americans, west indians, black americans
  18. I never felt magic crazy as this I never saw moons knew the meaning of the sea Nick Drake "Northern Sky" Great job Manoj !
  19. Are your garments spotless are they white as the snow
  20. When I'm walkin' these streets. And I'm countin' my steps. And I'm draggin' my feet 'cause I ain't ready yet Steve Earle and Emmylou Harris "I Remember You" Great job Amelie-Freak !
  21. Baby, I really, really love you now. I think you should stop your cryin

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

15 is that John Lennon song.... I can't remeber the name tho...

I can't get any of the others.. maybe after work when i'm less distracted.

3/29/2006 11:33:00 AM  
Blogger maisnon said...

8. R.E.M - "Circus Envy"? (Not sure about the title, pretty sure about the band)

3. Rage Against the Machine - "Bombtrack" (??)

3/29/2006 11:43:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are hard! So, of course, I go old school:

#7 is Pearl Jam's Corduroy
#9 is Nirvana's About a Girl

3/29/2006 12:59:00 PM  
Blogger ashvin said...

Good job guys ! In my book guessing the band correctly is good enough. So you all got it right.

#15 John Lennon "Happy X-Mas (War Is Over)"
#8 R.E.M "Circus Envy" (Very impressive, maisnon)
#3 RATM "Know Your Enemy" (right album though)
#7 Pearl Jam's "Corduroy"
#9 Nirvana's "About a Girl"

3/29/2006 01:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

#4 is "Airbag" by Radiohead, right?
#10 seems familiar, but I can't place it...

3/29/2006 02:39:00 PM  
Blogger ashvin said...

Exactly right on #4 ads. I personally have trouble telling those radiohead song titles apart.

The clue on #10 is that they're canadian.

3/29/2006 05:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

10. Barenaked Ladies - Alternative Girlfriend
11. Cake - World Of Two

3/30/2006 04:24:00 PM  
Blogger ashvin said...

Great job Maitri. Correct on both.

I'm confident there are a couple more that can be identified. I'm hoping for #2 and possibly #13 and #19.

Lurkers please feel free to guess.

3/30/2006 05:16:00 PM  
Blogger cookiemonsta said...

#2 The one I love by David Gray

Thanks for stopping by :)

3/31/2006 09:55:00 AM  
Blogger ashvin said...

You got it cookiemonsta. Thanks for letting me play.

3/31/2006 12:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"To start all over again
'Cause everytime that I do,
I remember you."

Oooo, I get to take #20: Steve Earle dueting with a woman whose name escapes me, "I Remember You."

4/01/2006 05:03:00 PM  
Blogger ashvin said...

That's right Amelie-Freak ! #19 is Steve Earle and Emmylou Harris "I Remember You" from SE's album "Jerusalem" with a few more good songs.

4/01/2006 05:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

#17: Nick Drake - Northern Sky (he was amazing)

4/07/2006 11:45:00 PM  
Blogger ashvin said...

Exactly Manoj ! I should have expected you to recognize it.

4/09/2006 10:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home